CHEVY CODES

2003 Chevrolet Impala

2003 Chevy Impala

Last week I posted that my service engine light came on and the advice I got was very helpful and money saving.I did as I was told and went to the part store and had them diagnois it and come to find out it came back. My cooling fan switch has a problem. Is this something I can get my dad to fix or will I need to go to a shop? Thanks for all the help
Rhayes25

Hello again,

I appreciate the feedback : )
Glad I could help.
Could you tell us what the code(s) is/are?

RenaudTN
All the guy told me was it was showing cooling fan switch.

Rhayes25

I'm guessing the code is one of the following: P0480, P0481, P0482, P0483, P0484, P0485.
You said in your first post that you had your compressor replaced; so I'm assuming your AC works, correct? If so, can you tell me if the fans come on when you turn your AC on (they should within a few seconds)? If they don't come on do the following: Under the hood, you have two black fuse/relay boxes on the left hand side of the engine compartment (passenger side). The bottom one should have three cooling fan relays in it as well as two cooling fan fuses (25 amp each). Using you user's manual for reference, find the cooling fan fuses and make sure they are good. If so, then check your relays. With engine on and AC on, tap gently with the handle end of a screw driver on the fan cont #1 relay. If the relay is sticky, doing so may " un-stick' it and turn the fan on. If it does, replace the relay. If it doesn't, turn car off and swap Fan cont #1 and fan cont #3 relays. Turn car back on (AC on) and check for fan operation. If fans work then replace the fan cont #1 relay. If it doesn't, you'll need to use a DVM and a scan tool for more troubleshooting; at this point however you may be better off taking your car to a shop.

Of course this is only relevant if you have one of the codes mentioned. If you can, go back to the part store and ask them for the specific code; it would help clarify things a lot.

RenaudTN