CHEVY -KEY STUCK IN IGNITION

2007 Chevrolet HHR

2007 Chevy HHR 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 68900 miles

Saw a post on this but no response so entering new post. Shift lever moves properly through all gears and park. Car starts properly and all gears can be selected. All systems seem to operate properly except that I can't remove the key from the ignition switch when I shut off the engine. I'm not sure if there's another switch position counter clockwise from off because I really never paid attention to that, but at least now the switch won't go beyond the position that shuts down the engine. What could be the problem and what are the steps to repair?
Jimmiez

What you may find es a broken gearshifter. The pin that rides in a slot for PRNDL notches falls out. Then the gearshifter itself is broken. Broken shifter pins on Cobalts and HHRs are a very common problem. The pin is what pushes the microswitch lever. We have not had one at our shop, but have learned this through research. I do not have an R and R procedure as of yet

Thanks Service Writer. I was able to get the shifter pin back into position. Problem solved for now, but I don't expect it will be long before the pin dislodges again. My local dealer says the shifter assembly needs to be replaced. About $100 for the part.

Jimmiez
A 2 year old vehicle shouldn't have a problem like this. Maanufacturers are not being held accountable for quality workmanship until people stop buying them. Ooopppsss.I forgot, they get bailed out when the market drops off.

Glad you got it going.

I agree with you 100+%. Seems like a poor design for a part that is in active service several times a day. Should be a recall for this issue.
Thanks again for your help.

Jimmiez
WELL MY KEY IS STUCK IN THE IGNITION, SO I WENT AND BOUGHT A NEW GEAR SHIFTER, BATTERY ON MY CAR IS COMPLETELY DEAD, I HAD JUMPED THE CAR LONG ENOUGH TO USE THE LIGHTS, BUT THE CAR WONT EVEN TUN OVER NOW AND THE COMPUTER IS TELLING ME ENGINE DISABLED, AND MY KEY IS STIL STUCK IN THE IGNITION BUT CANT GET MY CAR TO START. HELP

GREENEYECHRISTIE
Hey Greeneye. If your key is stuck in the " on" position (engine off), it will drain your battery. Happened to me. I replaced my console shifter unit and all was well, and has been performing correctly. Good luck.

Jimmiez