CHEVY SHIFTER WONT LOCK INTO PARK

2006 Chevrolet HHR

2006 Chevy HHR 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 73000 miles

my 2006 hhr goes into park, but steering wheel does not lock, shifter button does not pop out, and keys will not come out. Key also stays in acc.
Ohiokeith

There is a technical service bulletin on this problem. The release switch in the shifter has malfunctioned. Replacement of the shifter is required to fix your problem.

Gmtech
I ordered a.250 dia 60" piece of Delrin from McMaster Carr for a few bucks. I made a great replacement peice. Drilled the hole for the shaft, flatted and widened the end that mates to the spring to make sure the spring wouldn't slip over the shaft. I cut a slot on the top end parallel to the shaft hole so you can align the shaft hole during installation.
The Delrin is very flexible and very strong. The shifter feels very solid and works great. Pretty easy fix actually, if you can take it apart you can fix it!

Ssheets02