CHEVY CHEVY : LEAKING FUEL AT THE

2007 Chevrolet Equinox

Smells problem
2007 Chevy Equinox 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 53334 miles

I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox that began smelling like gas about a week ago. Then I noticed a severe drop in mileage on the readout after filling up. I noticed a drip under the gas tank (late at night, thought it might be condensation) and it evaporated over night. I went to work and came back and parked in the driveway, I noticed the drip again. I crawled under the car and started inspecting the tank and the lines underneath it were soaked and when I touched it, it started pouring fuel onto my hand. Now my question is, will this repair be covered under the California Emissions Warranty 7/70 because it's coming from the fuel tank?
Lixxie1982

First of all thank you very much for your donation. So is the main pressure fuel line the one leaking?If it is I would say no it's not covered by your Emissions warranty. The reason being is because it has to do with fuel supply not the emission's. Now if it was canister purge vapor line, gas tank, or fuel tank pressure sensor something like that I would say yes it would be as long as it wasn't damaged by you hitting rock or something that wasn't a part failure.I could be wrong but that's what I feel is the correct answer. It all depends on what is leaking.

You're quite welcome for the donation, I know it isn't much, but I do appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. : )

And as to where it's leaking from, I can't tell precisely. There was so much fuel and residue on the lines and on the bottom of the tank that I couldn't tell where the leak originated from. I'm thinking that it may be caused by a faulty pressure sensor because it's been parked since yesterday afternoon and I turned the car on today, the fuel gauge hadn't changed since yesterday. But after a couple of longer trips before I noticed the leak is when I really noticed the drop in mileage. My next question will be about how much will this cost me to repair? (I promise I won't hold you to it as I know it varies depending on what the actual problem is and how labor intensive it can be)

Lixxie1982
Alright please don't hold me too the figure's I give you. Let's go with the fuel pump itself and say the main pressure line is leaking that come's off the pump. That will give you labor for removing the fuel tank worse case for labor and the pump isn't cheap. Alright labor for the pump is 3.5hrs time's shop labor rate 80-100 per hr?The pump assembly itself is 500.I hope it's not that but I would say that would be worse case.

Thank you so much for your help. I took it to the dealership today and it wound up being the fuel pressure modulator and covered under the power train warranty. THANK YOU!

Lixxie1982
Glad to hear the repair was free that's always a good thing. Thanks again for the donation and thank you for using 2carpros.