"SERVICE ENGINE SOON"

1986 Chevrolet Corvette

Hey guys, I have a 1986 Corvette which has some engine problems. I am not sure what the problem is. I was getting a code 34 problem before which has to do with the MAF sensor, so I replaced it. And its still not working. The problem is that when I am driving the car, sometimes the Service engine soon comes and the car starts to malfunction. I am not able to accelerate normally because it is like the car cannot breathe. I need to accelerate really slowly if I want to get to a safe spot and check out the problem. Like I said, I replaced the MAF sensor and that did not solve the problem. I believe it is the Relay that powers the MAF sensor and the Relay that cleans the wire inside the MAF sensor, but I am not sure. The main problem is that when I am driving the car, and the Service Engine soon light comes on, I cant accelerate because something is holding it back. I dont know what to do. Please help, this would mean a lot to me. Thanks a lot.
Oneforspawn

Hi,
code 34 is the map sensor manifold absolute pressure, code 34 indicates volatge is low in the component, it is located on the left side of the firewall, this should take care of your problem if you did replace the maf and not the map sensor
lmk

jim

CHEVYII
I dont think I have a map since I am using a maf sensor instead. I looked for the map and I didnt find it. Is it on the passender side of the car or the driver side or in the middle?

Oneforspawn
Left side of firewall has a connector and a vacuum line attached and you do have one trust me

CHEVYII
Hey ChevyII, I replaced the relays and it seems to work fine now. I have looked everyone for the MAP sensor but I cant find it. Are you sure a 1986 corvette will have a MAP sensor. This corvette is the ZR1.

By the way, my passenger window will no go down all the way. I have taken out the panel but I cant seem to take the window motor out.

Thanks for all the help

Oneforspawn
Yes it does have a map, I even went back to the books to make sure (gm books) as far as the window, the motor should be bolted to the regulator which is bolted to the door and also the window, just look closely roll the window up a bit until you can see the bottom throgh the door skin and you will see how the window is disenagaged from the regulator, and the map may be on the left side manifold it is there somewhere, but the software says on the firewall should have a vac line coming from it to the intake

thanks
jim

oh and leave some feedback if you were happy with your help, we all donate our time here helping others free of charge

CHEVYII