CHEVY IGNITION SWITCH AND/OR TUMBLERS?

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006 Chevy Cobalt 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90570 miles

Hi, I recently have had an intermittent problem starting my car. When I turn the key, nothing turns over and no sounds, the lights come on in the car, but nothing else happens. I found that by moving the steering wheel back and forth, turning the wheels, the car will then start.
I also have had a problem for the past year or so with the steering locking as I go to take the key out of the ignition. I usually have to push the geer stick furthur into park, hear the click, and then the key will usually come out. Sometime I have to do this several times for it to unlock though.
It seems these things could be related. My question is if I simply have a connection problem in my ignition or if there could be another issue.
Thank you!
Amberk1175

First of all thank you very much for the donation. Look's like you have two separate problem's let's start with the starting when you turn the key and the starter won't kick over. That sound's like a bad ignition switch which has your passlock sensor built into it. When they go bad they some time's cause the car to go into anti theft mode and not start. The way you can tell for sure that you have a bad switch is go to a shop and have them read your body control module code's. If you have a B2960 and or B3033 then you need a new ignition switch. There not hard to replace and it's pretty common for them to fail they redesigned them like 3 or 4 time's already for that problem. Now on your other concern of you can't turn the key off till you play with the shifter. What happens there is there is a little micro switch on your shifter that close's when your shifter is in park. That allows your key to turn off when they go bad which I have replaced a lot of bad ones it cause's the key to not turn off. The only thing you have to worry about is making sure the switch is being closed by the shifter when the car is in park.I have seen some of the car's that have sticky shifters cause that problem. It's mostly the bad switch's though. The switch come's as a wire harness that includes your shifter indicator light the micro switch and your solenoid that keep's you from taking the car out of park when your foot isn't on the brake. It's not hard to replace that harness if your handy with car's you have to remove the center console. Let me know if you have any more question's.