1500 WONT START

1997 Chevrolet Cheyenne

I have a 1997 cheyenne 1500 with about 134,000 miles on it. Recently when I went to start it I lost all electrical power and had a buzzing noise coming from around the steering column. When I pushed in the breake pedal it would stop. When I released the sound continued. It also would stop when the key was in the run position and would begin when the key was removed. At the time there was also no power anywhere.

After letting the truck set awhile it would start and every so often the same problem would appear. Lately it doesnt even want to turn over it is slow and labored and barely starts. I was told the ignition switch might be the culprit? Any ideas? Is this an easy fix?
Swalker

Lets take this one step at a time. It may be the ignition but first, how old is the battery? If you don't know then change it. Low voltage kills sensors. Is there a v6 or a v8 in this truck? If v6, it may be your starter, famous for this problem. When the truck is running are there any symptoms like you described? Is the security light on or flashing? Let me know

This site runs on small or larg donations, try to make one Thanks

Pear69
It is a V8 and I dont know of the batteries age but I do know it needs to be replaced. I wasnt thinking of the battery being the mian culprit. After it starts it runs ok except for the gas gauge tends to wander around.

I have only had this truck for a short while and dont know much about its history

Swalker
After changing the battery you may find that the pass lock system is the problem. This system depends on a resistor and it's specific value in the circuit. However lets not go crazy yet.
Also make sure the battery cables are clean. Find where the negitive terminal connects to the ground and clean it up.

Pear69
I was drivin my chevy 1995 pickup the night before without problem but the next day in the morning when I try to start make an explotion an starr to misfired an small a gas a lot if some body have any idea whats wrong on please letme know

Maquina40