CHEVY TRUCK WON'T TURN OVER - SPARK PLUGS ARE

1991 Chevrolet Cheyenne

1991 Chevy Cheyenne 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 110, 00 miles

I have a '91 chevy K1500 and recently replaced both head gaskets at two different times. After replacing the first, I got it to start up but oil was leaking from above the exhaust manifold. I replaced the head gasket on that side, both intake mainfold gaskets, and both valve cover gaskets. The leak stopped, but now the engine won't start. The flywheel turns, all lights work, and spark plugs do spark. The only thing that is really wierd is there is nothing coming out of the tailpipe, no pressure, no exhaust. I am not sure what the problem is at this point but I think that might be the key. Any thoughts? I have been working on this project for awhile and really want to get it wrapped up. Thanks in advance!
Skivner

Can you do a compression test?

Maybe you tightened the rocker arm nuts too far.

Buddycraigg
That could definitely be it. I tightened them to Chilton's specs but they did seem a bit tight to me. Didn't want to argue with the manual. Do you know what the foot pounds generally are for chevy trucks? I think these are up around 30 - 35 but can't remember off the top of my head. I will take 10 ft. Lbs off this eve and let you know. Thanks for the insight!

Skivner
Dont do anything just yet,
let me take a look at a few things.

I'm hoping you didn't bend any valves and or pushrods.

Buddycraigg
I just verified.
You are supposed to set the valve train just like every small block chevy made for the last 50 years.

You tighten down the rocker nut until you cant spin the pushrod with your fingers.

Then give the nut one full turn.
.
.
.

When you tried to start the engine after the way you did it, you could have bent pushrods and or valves.

Good luck.

Buddycraigg
Hello.
Thanks for the specs on tightening the push rods. They were definitely too tight and I did end up bending two. I went ahead and replaced all the pushrods just in case, now there is a clicking noise that is consistent with all the rods it seems. The engine idles fine and seems to be running just fine too, but there is the noise of what sounds like the rocker arms moving and at the same speed a " tinktinktink". Do you think this will die down once the new, straight rods settle in or is it going to be consistent? How much will this hurt my engine if I run it? I know where the valves are just seeing if this is a major issue that needs attention immediately or can it wait without too much repurcussion? Thanks Buddy! You were right on last time. This is a 1991 Chevy K1500 4.3L V6 4WD

seth

Skivner
Sounds are hard to diagnose over the internet.

The lifters could possibly be collapsed.
Hopefully they will pump back up after the engine has ran at higher RPMs for a while.

Buddycraigg
Hey Buddy.
Thanks for getting back to me. I just want to make sure that this won't cause harm to the engine if I don't do anything at this point. The interesting part is that it is every single one and it is in unison. I can definitely wait it out and see if it stops. Just took it for the first drive this morning. Engine sounds great, just the clinking with the pushrods/rocker arms. Thanks for the help!

Seth

Skivner