CHEVY HOW TO REPLACE AND WHERE IS THE IGNITIO

1990 Chevrolet Cheyenne

1990 Chevy Cheyenne 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 210500 miles

If we turn the key, dash lights come on, but no clicking sound or anything.
That has been the scene for days now.

When we bought the truck the ignition cylinder (what you put the key into) could be pulled right out of the steering column, but when slid back in it still started and ran fine.

Then one day, the truck seemed to be shorting out without warning, and would run fine to one place and then not start again for a few minutes. This repeated for a couple of days until it just wouldnt start at all. (I did try to install a cd player at the time, but later found it wasnt the cd player)

I found the distributor cap had lots of interior corrosion and the rotor was very dirty/rusty. So I replaced them. But still nothing, and then the trucks battery ran dry, so we had to recharge it. Not sure why it ran dry, maybe power being drawn from somewhere else?

But the plastic gear wheels for the ignition switch inside also look worn out. You can see their quality since the ignition cylinder slides right out.

Anyways, I bought a Multimeter, In-Line Spark Tester, Code Reader, spark plug wires, spark plugs, and ignition coil next.

The Code Reader continously gave a reading of 12, or system pass.

So now, I am confused, the manual says to remove the column shroud halves (which there are no screws in the plastic shrouds so no way to remove them) and then it says to remove the column-to-dash attaching bolts and slowly lower the steerting column, but it only lowers about an inch.

And after all of that you should be able to reach the ignition switch, but obviously I am missing something. Where should the ignition switch be?

Shouldnt it be inside the steering column after removing the steering wheel?

Doesnt repl; acing the ignition switch require a steering wheel puller and GM lock plate compressor?

Also, just found a fuse that two of the five plug ends are burnt. Its a black case 1in by 1in by 1in. I heard it start clicking after lowering the steering column and if you would push on the steering wheel the fuse would start clicking.

The case says: HELLA 12V - Its a relay.
4RD
960388-02
25520198
Made in USA

HELP ME GUYS! THANKS!
AlaskaForever2010

Hi AlaskaForever2010, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Let me try to help this is what one of my auto references says on how to remove the ignition switch

Disconnect battery ground cable.
Carefully loosen attaching bolts, then lower steering column.
Place ignition switch into the Lock position. If the lock cylinder has been removed, the actuating rod to the switch should be pulled up, until there is a definite stop, then move down one detent. This is the Lock position.
Remove two attaching screws from ignition switch.
Remove ignition switch assembly.
Reverse procedure to install

I am still very lost.

The rod moves, but I cannot access the inside of the steering column behind the steering wheel.

And the plastic column shrounds dont come off.

AlaskaForever2010
Is this a 4X4 and also a C1500 or K1500 give more description

The truck is a 1990 C1500 W/T V6 2WD.

So I replaced the ignition switch, which is located at the lower part of the steering column. But no change in the truck.

And it was easy to pull the steering wheel and the lock plate cover inside once I had all the tools. But still could not gain access to the plastic ignition gears inside the column.
The ignition switch was on the outside lower part of the steering column, and easy to replace.

But got a chance to inspect the wires inside the steering column and they were fine, none of the wires were damaged or frayed. And got to look at the turn signal switch which was funky since we bought it, and got to see why it was loose.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/465137_removedlockplate_001_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/465137_removedlockplate_002_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/465137_dustintiredandlockplate_008_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/465137_dustintiredandlockplate_007_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/465137_trucksteeringcolumn_001_1.jpg

AlaskaForever2010
What is it doing now-will it crank over?

No, it doesnt make a sound when you turn the ignition key, its been this way for days.

It does not attempt to crank over.

Maybe I wasnt seeing something, going to try again tomorrow.

AlaskaForever2010
I know how its like in the land of the midnite sun been there -rough country Cantwell-okay have you check the neutral safety switch?

No, I have not checked the neutral safety switch. This is a manual transmission.

Where would the neutral safety switch be?

Engine lights come on and everything, but nothing else when you turn the ignition.

AlaskaForever2010
Sorry its the clutch switch check by the clutch pedal bracket support-jumper the connector and see what happens

Be standing by our Mit1 ondemand right now might get restored in a few hours and I'll pull the circuit when it comes up