CHEVY REAR BRAKE DRUM TORQUE

1977 Chevrolet Cheyenne

Brakes problem
1977 Chevy Cheyenne V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual

How much torque should be put on the rear brake drum nut?
Lanellw

Do you mean the lug nuts? Or the starwheel shoe adjuster?

Merlin2021
Neither. The nut that holds the brake drum on the rear axle housing.

Lanellw
If you have a nut on an axle that sticks out beyond the drum, you have a Jeep axle on the truck.... Don't know why?
So Jeep spec on the nut is 250 ft lbs and then aling cotter pin and hole by tightening more, do not loosen to align! If I remember right you don't need to remove the nut to take the drum off, only the hub...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Jeep_rear_end_1.jpg

Merlin2021
Thank you for your response. This truck doesn't have a Jeep axle. It is the original axle. The nut doesn't stick out passed the drum, it is recessed. The drum had to be removed to gain access to the brake shoes to replace them

Lanellw
Any tag on the axle?

Merlin2021
No, there is no tag on the axle. I know the axle is the original, because we purchased the truck new. After unbolting the axle from the brake drum and sliding it out of the rear end housing, the brake drum was still attached to the rear end housing with 2 nuts, one of which was a jam nut. Both nuts required a spanner socket to remove them in order to remove the brake drum to gain access to the brake shoes. I need to know how much torque is required to tighten the 2 nuts that hold the brake drum on the rear end housing.

Lanellw
OK so this is either a 20 or 30 series with 10 inch ring gear? Check your email for a PDF on this axle.

Merlin2021