CHEVY CARBON BITS SPIT FROM MUFFLER.

1988 Chevrolet Celebrity

1988 Chevy Celebrity 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 239842 miles

OK, I don't drive this car too much, but lately when I go to start it, it (putts)- barly starts, - and when it turns over, I see a little bit of white smoke- for a few seconds, - then small bits of black carbon spit out form the muffler, along with a smell of gas. Now this has happened four times, and does not happen every time it starts, but once in awhile it does, - but for a few seconds. Now, it has been runing rough, and stalls at idel. I'm thinking that the egr valve needs to be cleaned, or replaced. Can anybody tell me if this is the case?- I would like some help. Many thanks!
Ottoman540

Probably not. If the egr was stuck open it would run real lean and you would not smell gas. I would check fuel pressure and also check fuel regulator vacuum hose for signs of gas leaking. Also check coolant temp sensor to make sure its reading correctly, o2 sensor. The list goes on. This may be one that needs to be scanned by computer and watch data lines, that would eliminate alot of unneccessary work.

Mastertechtim
OK, - I was planning on getting a computer scan to find out what is really going on, but I was just trying to see if I could cut corners on figuring out the problem, - but I guess not. I should just get a scaner to find out, - wouldn't you agree?

Ottoman540
Unfortunately there are so many problem areas with this car you cant cut any corners or you will be replacing parts unnecessarily

Mastertechtim