CHEVY HARD TO SHIFT THE TRANS INTO 2,4,OR REV

1990 Chevrolet Cavalier

1990 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 30000 miles

I have a 1990 Chevy Cavalier with over 300,000 on it. Has been a great car, but now the it has gotten very hard to shift it in to 2, 4, or Rev. I'm a pretty strong guy and can muscel it into grear, but it's not easy at all. 1, 3, and 5th all seem fine. I don't think the clutch has ever been replaced on the car. So, that's kind where i'm leaning, but I would think it would start to slip or grab. There is none of that. Can you guys help me out.
Eric
Erirish

Those are all back towards you on the shift pattern? Might be a shifter bushing problem if the others are ok

Jack42
Yes all the shift pionts are back towards me. I was reading other sites and some say to replace the clutch. I figure that it needs to be done anyway, after 300,000 or so. So, I think that I going to replace the clutch. Where are the shifter bushings located, I imagine in the transmission, but are they easy to get to?

Erirish
On the shifter itself. Down at the pivot point or where the shift cable or rod attaches to the trans

Jack42
Cool I'll defiantly look there first. That sounds easier then pulling the trans. Thanks

Erirish
Not sayin you didnt get your moneys worth with 300k on that clutch. Never heard of that many miles on one before

Jack42