CHEVY TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

1996 Chevy Caprice V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

On my caprice the transmission is failing me. In the mornings I will crank it up and hear the car shift into gear but it wont move. I check the transmission fluid and the dip stick is clean as if it has no fluid. So I add a quart and it goes foward but not in reverse. If I drive it I notice smoke from the hood. The fluid is coming from the spout and dripping on the exhaust. Once I removed the dip stick while it was dripping and fluid shot out pretty far. Today I changed the transmission filter and the fluid was very dark. At the bottom of the pan there was a black fluid that of course didnt mix with the trans fluid and almost resemble oil. And inside the old filter the fluid was chunky very bubbly and almost looked like cold cooking grease. Needless to say after cleaning the pan magnet 3 hrs of draining and a new filter its doing the same thing. No reverse barely any foward and leaks then when I shut the car off from even just an idle it stills squirts out if I remove the dip stick. Can you give a diagnoses?
Trakaholikbeats

Sounds like an internal parts failure if it is blowing out of the vent and has no reverse. From what you describe in the pan, it may have had the wrong fluid put in it at sometime. ATF wont seperate like you described. Time to consoder a rebuid or a salvage yard trans, depending on your budget

Jack42
Something else you might want to look at is your coolant, make sure you dont have transmission fluid in your coolant. Sometimes the transmission cooler that is in your radiator goes bad and your transmission fluid and coolant mix, when water gets in the transmission fluid can spray out of the dip stick tube and your transmission will not shift propperly. This info is comming from a recently retired GM engine and transmission tech, good luck

Awdanielson