CHEVY ENGINE STARTS, THEN DIES SUDDENLY AFTER

1993 Chevrolet Caprice

1993 Chevy Caprice V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 232000 miles

Hi, I have a 1993 caprice with a TBI 350CI. When I start the car it runs at real low rpm then sputters and dies after about ten seconds. I also notice when it does decide to run properly which is usually 8 out of 10 times, it runs real slow and sluggish up hills and the engine sounds like its being held back by something. I have replaced the distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Engine light also appears. My mechanic tried hooking up a computer diagnostic to it but it didn't show that there was a problem. I am wondering if this is maybe timing? Can you please help me?
TSchade

Wth teh TBI units there are a couple of things. First they used to blow the gasket under the unit and caue vacuum leaks. Then the hose going to the map sensor would get soft and close, not allowing the map sensor to work. Tocheck the codes, a paper clip accross A-B will turn the light on and blink so you can read the codes. Then put a vacuum guage on it and if it reads around 15" you may have a plugged or partially plugged converter. Id' try replacing the vacuum hose from tbi to map sensor first, then go through the regular things of fuel pressure, etc.