CHEVY OVERHEATING....

1996 Chevrolet Camaro

Engine Cooling problem
1996 Chevy Camaro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 66,000 miles

In the morning, while driving my car to work, my engine temp gauge will shoot to the red line where my " check gauges" light will come on usually within the first 7-15 minutes or a couple miles down the road. After a few minutes it will cool down to the midway point on the temperature gauge and act normal. No heat will come out while the temp gauge is maxing out at the red line. Only cool air will come out. Mind you, my A/C does not work so its not A/C air. Heat will only come on when the temp drops to the halfway point on the temperature gauge. It only happens in the morning usually or sometimes when the car has been sitting in a long time. While searching other forums related to my problem it has been noted that it could be a possible faulty water pump or clogged heater core. This has happened to another person named bmeister2 at camaroforums. Com in which she changed the thermostat twice, fluid flush, replaced the water pump, new radiator cap, replaced temp gauge sender and to no avail. Any questions or solutions will definitely earn you a donation of a marginal amount as the savings I save will be given to you. Thank you.
Vcz28

Have you tried pulling the thermostat out completely and see what it does? If its not the sending unit, waterpump, clogged radiator/heater core, clogged hoses or radiator cap. It only leaves the thermostat. I usually switch thermostats in F-Bodys (Camaros, Trans Ams, Fire Birds, ect.). I use a 160 degree thermostat. The 305's and 350's have alway given me better results with the lower temp thermostat.
But first and foremost. We need to find out if it is the thermostat. So I'd suggest pulling out the thermostat and run some tests from there. Hit me back and let me know.

Teag