CHEVY MYSTERIOUS LEAK

1994 Chevrolet Camaro

Air Conditioning problem
1994 Chevy Camaro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 238000 miles

My AC won't hold a charge. Lately, a cahrge will only last a day or 2. The mechanic says he can not detect any leak. He now believes it is losing the charge suddenly rather than continuously, through either the condenser or the evaporator, as they contract/expand and open a crack. He suggests getting a condenser (in case it needs to be replaced), removing the condenser (at which point he should be able to see if it has dye on it0 and replace it if it is the source of the leak. If thats not it, try the same with the evaporator.

He's already replaced several parts because they were leaking, but now says they were small leaks and may not have been the main problem. He says the condenser and evaporator are the only parts he can not see unless he gets them out.

I don't mind going thru this if it is likely the problem, but I'm having a little belivability problem right now.

Any help is appreciated.
Allenatkins

Most likely the evaporator is your guy using a halogen leak detector? If yes he shoulde be able to detect a leak without replacing everything in system. Have him put freon in run shut off but leave fan on in low. Wait 2 hrs put dtector probe in center vent. Turn key on if detector goes off then evap.

Docfixit