CHEVY LOW OIL PRESSURE

1978 Chevrolet Camaro

1978 Chevy Camaro V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 42000 miles

hello, I just recently built a 350 for my camaro and now I have it running im having a problem with the oil pressure. When I first start it and its cold im getting around 60-70 pounds of oil pressure but after it warms up the pressure drops to around 7-10 pounds and the oil light comes on while ideling but as soon as you touch the gas it shoots right back up and the light goes off, I have both mechanical guage and oil light, what could be the problem. Stats are motor has less than 25 miles on it and im using 20w-50 oil
Icyone

Hi icyone, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Did you put on a crankshaft kit or you have the crankshaft reground and use undersize bearings-is it knocking?

Could be excessive engine bearing clearances or the oil pressure relief valve sticking or air in it

I bought the short block already done. New bearings, crank, pistons rods, if I shut off the car and let it cool down I can restart it with around 60 p.S, I and there is no noise from the motor only after it runs for a little bit the pressure drops to almost 0 and you can start to hear a faint knock

Icyone
I have noticed that the distributor is in and I have it clamped down but you can still wiggle it a little would that have anything to do with it?

Icyone
Sounds like engine bearings to me

Remove the distributor and inspect the oil pump drive gear-BTW did you prime the oil pump before you start it-

Would it be a good idea to try a new oil pump before I tear the motor out and dissamble it

Icyone
I primed the oil pump before assembly I also primed the engine before I started it

Icyone
Yes it does and try and get a high volume pump aand make sure you prime it before you fire it up

Ok I will get a high volume pump for it and yes I will make sure to prime the engine. Will advise you of progress

Icyone