CHEVY ENGINE BERINGS

1974 Chevrolet Camaro

1974 Chevy Camaro V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 57,000 miles

I through a bering. Not sure if it is the main berring.May only be a lifter bering or cam.Does anyone have a estament for repair? Best and worst case senarios.350ci with modifications.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/406157_HPIM0181_1.jpg

Rbliss

It is hard to say. If it needs main or rod bearings, the crank needs to come out to be cut or replaced. Basically a complete engine tear down. If that is the case, I would est around 3000.00. Can you describe what you hear, when you hear it, and what the oil pressure looks like?

Also, there are no lifter bearings. There are cam bearings.

Pressure is good on ach cylindar. Around 170psi. It squeels and makes a knocking sound when above idle. When I checked the oil I foung metal shavings in the filter.

Rbliss
If the sound is coming from the bottom of the engine, chances are it is a main bearing or rod bearing. The only way to know if to remove the oil pan and use a product called plastigauge. You place it between the bearing, retighten the bearing and then, based on how much it flattens out will tell you where there is too much play.

Let me know if you have other questions.