IDLE BAR REPLACEMENT

Chevrolet Blazer

Hey guys, new user here. I have a quick question about my 1996 Blazer LT. It has approx 160kmiles on it and I just recently found out that the idler arm needs replacement. Apparently it's severely worn. The quote from the shop regarding labor said it would amount to about $200, and the parts are about $100. I doubt this is possible, but, can this repair be done at home with moderate tools? How difficult is it? Would be great to avoid that $200 labor fee, but if it's a somewhat involved procedure then I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet. Thanks a bunch
S37d

This is a very simple operation, the only special tool you will need is a tie rod end for, and that is what it looks like a fork, there are two bolts on the frame, you will need a wrench and a socket and ratchet, remove those, remove the nut from the tie rod end to center link, then the fork comes into play, you need to place the fork between the idler arm dust boot and center link and give it a few taps it sould fall out, and reinstall

CHEVYII
Also if you don't want to replace it, you can tighten it up by removing the idler from the center link and turn the idler arm clockwise until it's tight and fasten it back to the center link. It'll last about another 10 to 20k miles. I know how some people are in a fixed budget. This will allow time to save up, or do as chevyII says and be done with it. Either way will work : wink:

Bootdog
Good call bottdog

CHEVYII
Thanks for the responses guys. Can the fork be picked up at any auto part store? What would you say is the best place to find the necessary parts and order them from? I'll have to see what size nuts they are, I should have the right size socket. It does sound pretty basic, I'm surprised they'd charge $200 for the labor. Thanks again

S37d
You should be able to pick the tool up at any parts store, and the idler arm also anywhere

good luck

CHEVYII