CHEVY ABS & BRAKE LIGHT ON

2001 Chevrolet Blazer

2001 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 118500 miles

I recently purchased a 2001 Chevy Blazer with 118,500 miles, 6 cyl, 4WD. Of coarse after we bring it home we start having issues. First the ABS and Brake lights are constantly on. We have checked the brakes, bleed the breaks, and filled fluid. I don't currently have a code reader but that is my next step. Also our 4WD will not engage. I can push the button and nothing happens it blinks for awhile then goes back to 2HI. No noises either. Last but not least soemtimes our check engine light comes on as well. I am not sure if you can give me some ideas without having used a code reader, but that is my next stop is to find a reasonably priced place to have them check codes. Thank you for any help you can offer.
Blazer_luv2001

Most auto parts stores (Advance, NAPA, AutoZone) will read the codes for free.

If you intend to work on the car yourself, I would buy a Haynes manual.

The ABS issue could be the ABS module, or a sensor at the wheel that is not working.

Mmprince4000
Check your front wheel bearings, I had a wheel bearing go bad and damaged ABS sensor as well.

Medicjel

Car nut
Auto zone offers free engine check light readings. I was havingthe same problem with the light after some transmission problems. A pulley came off while driving. When my battery died the stores were closed so I had to wait until the next day to buy a new one. I guess it needed to reset the system. When the negative terminal is disconnected it is suppose to errase all codes and turn the engine light off. If it comes back with the same code it can be more serious.

Tito78