CHEVY THERMOSTAT

2000 Chevrolet Blazer

2000 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 114000 miles

On my 2000 blazer for the last 2 years I have had to have a coolent flush in order for my heat to be as warm as it should. Normal engien temp is showing around 160 deg. And I can't find any leaks. Is there a electronic damper or something else that might be getting clogged to restrict flow. Tired of having it flushed need to get to the root of the problem instead of putting a bandaid on it. Would a 180 deg thermostat help?
Kins508

Hello - sorry to hear about the car problems.

Several things may be the problem. If it has only been the last couple of years then obviously something changed.

Things to check for insufficient heating are, a leak in the cooling system, a low coolant level, a loose or worn drive belt, a leaking or kinked heater hose, a cracked or missing radiator cap seal, a stuck thermostat.

My suggestion is your vehicle calls for a 180 degree thermostat. Your vehicle states the thermostat should begin to open about 188 degrees and be fully open at 206 degrees. You may have a thermostat that is stuck open therefore never allowing the vehicle to properly warm up.

I would inspect the heater hoses really good. See if they are hot. If one is and one isn't then your heater core is plugged.

I would change my thermostat to the 180 degree, you can even go to a 195 degree.

I would also replace my radiator cap.

Your vehicle does have a Heater Core Temperature Sensor Switch but I can not find any information on it. It's location or what it does.

Hope this helps.

Make a small donation! (We will make sure your question will be answered promptly and it will help us be able to continue to help others - Thanks)

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
2000 Blazer with a 4.3 should have a 195 degree thermostat. The 4.3 from 1994 up all use a 195. As do 95% of the current vehicles on the road. The 160 is coasting you gas mileage as well as heat. At 160 the computer thinks the engine is still cold and feeds more fuel to the engine.

SWilliams