CHEVY

1996 Chevrolet Beretta

1996 Chevy Beretta 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 206, 00 miles

HERE'S WHAT MY CAR DOES: AFTER ITS BEEN SITTING OVERNIGHT I TRY TO START IT IN THE MORNING AND IT JUST TURNS OVER BUT DOESN'T START. THE FUEL PUMP STAYS ON AND I'VE LET IT STAY ON FOR 30 SECONDS AND IT DOESN'T TURN OFF. SO I GO BACK A LITTLE WHILE LATER AND IT TURNS OVER FINE AND STARTS RIGHT UP. I'VE CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER AND RELAY BUT STILL DOES IT. THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN ALL THE TIME BUT ITS STILL HAPPENS AT THE WORST TIMES. THANK YOU
TOTALBOSS

When the fuel pump is running and the engine is " just turning over" what is the fuel pressure?

Pear69
I BROUGHT IT INTO THE SHOP AND THE SAID THE FUEL PRESSURE WAS CONSTANT AND THEY LEFT THE GUAGE ON FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS.

TOTALBOSS
Ok -- so what is the " constant" fuel pressure? When the engine is turning over -- is there spark? If so, how did you test to be certain? If there is fuel pressure and spark --- what is the compression of each cylinder?

Pear69
WELL ALL THIS STUFF DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE CUZ MY CAM SHAFT BROKE SO I GET 2 RIP APART THE MOTOR AND SEE WHAT ELSE WILL GO 2 HELL ON ME. THANX 4 ALL UR REPLIES

TOTALBOSS
Sorry to hear that. With 206000 miles, consider replacing the engine. The broken cam shaft probably caused serious damage to the block that may not be repairable. All the time - machine work - and money may not be worth tearing it apart.

Pear69