CHEVY LOCK CYLINDER, IGNITION SWITCH?

1990 Chevrolet Beretta

Steering problem
1990 Chevy Beretta 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

All of a sudden, my ignition doesn't want to cooperate.
It turns on easily, but when time to cut the car off, I have to fight to get the key to turn for me.
Steering wheel isn't locked, just doesnt want to cut off for me easily.
if one or the other, is it an easy fix, or requires more work involving removing steering column, etc? Please help. I sure don't want to be taken by a mechanic if take it to be fixed.
Frustrated_N_Sc

Try making sure the shift lever is all the way in to PARK.

Buddycraigg
I wasn't aware manuals had *park*. It will do it whether in 1st or neutral.
It didn't do it for a few days, kinda have to jimmy the key towards me immediately after cranking and it helps. But then out the blue, it will try its best to lock back up.

Frustrated_N_Sc
Oops, sorry about that.

Most manual cars have a lever that has to be depressed or some other safety feature to keep the key from being turned to the LOCK position.

Do you have something like that?

Buddycraigg
Ah. There is a button right in front of the ignition.
We use to push it in to remove the key, but havent had to use it in forever. The key wants to stay in the *acc* position when it acts up. I don't think the button helps that though.
One of the repair guys that looked at it a week ago, said sometimes moving the steering wheel, (tilt it) as you're turning the key helps. Dunno bout that.

Frustrated_N_Sc
Try the button the next time it happens.
That's what it was meant to do.

If you haven't needed to use it in a long time, then some parts are worn out inside there.

Buddycraigg