CHEVY CRANKING

1961 Chevrolet Bel Air

1961 Chevy Bel Air V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 1957 chevrolet 210 with a small block V* (not sure what kind of engine). The car used to run, but it has been about a year since I drove it. When I turn the ignition, the engine just turns and turns with no wanting to crank. I changed the fuel filter and air filer. When I spry in some starter fluid, the engine with crank for a second, but will not stay cranked.

Any suggestions on what I can try to get my car cranked and running again?
Steve57belair

How long since a tune-up? Cranking is starter action. Your saying it cranks good, but won't start? Maybe it needs a carb kit? Sometimes with an extended crank, I'll remove the airhorn from the carb, without removing the carb, where applicable, see if any gas in the float bowl. Maybe it needs some fresh gas, right now it sounds like a fuel issue.

Internetmechanic
The first thing to check is that fuel is getting to the carb, remove the fuel line at the carb, place it into a safe container and turn the eng over about 2 rounds, see if fuel is present. If not turn over a couple more times, might take a little to purge the line. If still no fuel then you need a fuel pump. If fuel is present, then most likely the float is hung. I have often taped the float bowl with a wrench and got the float to open. If that dose not do the trick then you will need to rebuild the carb, not to hard a job but needs to be done right or can make things worse in the long run.

Pikapart