CHEVY FUEL STARVATION

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

2002 Chevy Avalanche V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My Avalanche 2500 with the V8 engine will run about 1-2 miles and then loses power. It will stutter along for a bit and then may regain power. It will repeat this cycle almost for as many times as you have patience for. Although unless I turn the engine off the run time between failures gets less and less.

I have found that stopping, turning car off and then re-starting works like magic, for another 1-2 miles. Better yet, if I open the gas cap and leave it loose I do not have any problem at all.

There seems to be a relationship to the gas gauge. It is not working properly. However, when it suddenly drops from 1/2 tank to empty and turns on the low fuel indicator the car will run okay WITH the gas cap tight. Gauge starts to read half full and I must loosen the cap.

I have replaced fuel filter, fuel pump and the sensor on the air intact that is located just after the air filter. I have checked the air filter it is okay. I have added injector cleaner with no changes.

One last note. This all seemed to start after I ran out of gas. The gas gauge was not working. I ran out. Got towed and refueled. Ran several hundred miles over two days and then the engine quit and would not start. The garage diagnosed a fuel pump problem. They replaced the pump which did not fix the gauge although I have better fuel pressure and now the car does not quit when the engine problem occurs.

No codes have been thrown.

Where should I look next?
Sbotes

Chevy has a recommendation to use " Top Tier Detergent Fuel" in thier vehicles, due to injector clogging issues, so it may be that some dirt got into several of the injectors, and may need a good injector cleaning. The next thing would be the try changing your gas cap, may not vent correctly.

Merlin2021
You very likely sucked up debris when it ran out, that's what took out the pump. I assume the shop did not flush the fuel system and pressure clean injectors.
They also should have replaced the fuel sender since it is the tank attached to the fuel pump.
So have system flushed and injectors cleaned and that should solve problem.
As for the cap when you open does it expell air?

Docfixit
Yes, the cap makes a lot of noise that sounds like air being expelled. However, I do not know if it is in or out going.

I thought about the debris issue but the turning off of the engine and then starting right back up as if there is no problem and in particular the fact that I can drive all day long if the gas cap is loose makes me think that it is related to air pressure somehow in tank. I have experimented by stopping the truck and tightening the gas cap and almost immediately it will start to stall, immediate being 1-2 miles

Sbotes
There is pressure build up in tank you need to have the venting to tank checked out. It should be venting to a charcoal canister and into engine. I assume this all started after the pump? If yes go back there and have them check their work. If they crimped a vent line or failed to hook it up thats the problem. Did they know about the fuel gague? If so I'd have a bone to pick.
Good luck

Docfixit
Yep they knew about the fuel gauge but said that the sensor was part of the fuel pump and that it would all be replaced. Wonder if the pressure build up has an affect on the sensor.

Sbotes
SYSTEM & COMPONENT TESTING -2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500
Page 1 of 1

NOTE: DO NOT perform this procedure unless instructed by EVAP diagnostic test.
NOTE: Use EVAP Pressure/Purge Diagnostic Station (J 41413) in order to provide a clean, dry, low pressure gas source. DO NOT substitute any other pressurized gas source. Damage may result to EVAP system.
Inspection Procedure
1. Turn OFF the ignition. 2. Remove EVAP canister purge valve. 3. Lightly tap EVAP canister purge valve on a hard surface. 4. Inspect for carbon particles exiting either vacuum port.
 If no carbon particles were detected, install original EVAP canister purge valve and continue with cleaning procedure.
 If carbon particles are found during inspection procedure, replace EVAP canister purge valve and continue with cleaning procedure.
 If you were instructed to replace EVAP canister purge valve and no carbon particles are found, return to EVAP diagnostic procedure that directed you here. DO NOT perform EVAP cleaning procedure.

Merlin2021
I have been having a very similar problem with my 02 Av. Were you ever successful in fixing the problem?

Kimberlyandjim
To get an answer on this question, click on the email button next to their name and send an email!

Merlin2021
Your message did not help at all. While I appreciate you are trying to make money with this website, I must now make 10 posts to be able to initiate a private message. I guess this is post number 2.

Kimberlyandjim
In the past, and since buying this 2002 Avalanche, I've always bought new cars. This Av reminds me why I do so. Post 3.

Kimberlyandjim
Page 1 of 2