GRINDING NOISE ON STARTING VAN, WINDOW MOTOR

2002 Chevrolet Astro

Hi, we have a Chevy 2002 astro van, v6-262 4.3 liter engine with 39,000 miles. A couple of times in the last 2 years I zoned out and turned the key on again while the car was already on and of course I got a grinding noise. (I heard you can break the teeth off the flywheel like this.) The last 3 or so times I have started it, it will either turn over immediately and grind (like it did when I turned it on while it was idling) or it will whine, not turn over and grind. Then it will start on the second try with a grind as above. Can you tell me what it is and should I have it towed to the shop? Also, is it easy to access the window-raising motor for replacement? Have you any idea of the cost of said part and/or repair? Thanks very much!
Aguamom

Sounds like the starter or flexplate (flywheel) If just the starter it will be a few hundred dollars. If the flexplate is damaged, you are looking at another few hundred to remove the transmission to replace it. The window motor depends on if there is a regulator problem or just the motor. Again you are looking at a few hundred dollars, all prices depend on parts used ( I recommend OEM) and th eshops hourly labor rate

Jack42