CHEVY FUEL PUMP HARNESS KEEPS SHORTING OUT

1993 Chevrolet Astro

1993 Chevy Astro 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 146000 miles

I am on my 7th harness in 18 months. This last one only lasted 2 weeks. The local mechanic has no clue and is refusing to put another one in. Is it time to give up? I love this van and have no other problems with it.

Also, after the 6th replacement 2 weeks ago, car was hard to start in morning (improved as day warmed up) also surged down the street in the mornings but once it warmed up it was fine. The mechanics said I might have an injector leak but they said it was fine to drive. I drove it the next day and got half way to work (surging down the street) when it died. It would still start but would only run for 5 or 10 seconds before dying.
Janah7

What harness are you referring to?

The mechanic said the fuel pump harness?

Janah7
It is starting to sound like a misdiagnosis or mis-installation. Is power getting to the Pump?

Yes power is getting to the pump. Everytime it fails when they go into replace the pumpt the wires on the harness are all burnt.

This all started after they replaced my alternator. Not sure if there is a connection but after they replaced alternator I also have had a stereo short out and my gas/temp/oil guages intermittently " freak out" (ie gas shows empty on a full tank, temp guage shows overheated when engine isn't, etc).

Janah7
I would get the alternater voltage to see if there is an overcharging problem. Have you checked what it is?

Thank you so much for your advice. The mechanics just called they said that they believe the problem was caused by a part that muffles the noise of the fuel pump. They said it doesn't fit right and comes unattached and they believe it is causing the fuel pump/harness to short out. They removed this part and the van is starting fine and they believe this will solve my problems. Not sure if it will or not, guess I will keep my fingers crossed.

Janah7
Sounds very reasonable and somewhat familiar. I think its called a dampner and we have run into similiar on GM where the replacement pump had eliminated it if I remember right. I know the astros had a harness problem that required the replacement of it, but haven't run into your symptom like that.

Glad to hear you had sucess.
Mine are crossed too!