CHEVY HEADLIGHTS DO NOT WORK

1989 Chevrolet Astro

1989 Chevy Astro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 280000 miles

My headlights all of a sudden went out on me and I can not find what is wrong. I replaced the switch with no luck. All other electrical is working fine. There is power at the switch but no power at the headlight plug. I used an ohm meter to check ground at the headlight plug but it seems that there is none. I've read that there is a circuit breaker, a relay and also a fusible link but the repair manual does not say where they are. I also noticed that even if I try the high beams, the indicator light does not come on. Here's a picture that someone told me were the fusible links but how do you check them and which one is for the headlights? I'm at a loss on what to do.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/247647_fuselinks_1.jpg

Topthumb

Hi topthumb,

The diagram shows 3 Red wires and one of it supplies power to the headlight switch. There are no identifications available so you need to test all the fusible links to see if any is broken.

Use a sharp probe test lamp to test by pushing it into the red wire end.

All 3 tested good but I found the problem at the dimmer switch, it was bad. I will be going to the parts store to pick up a new one. Thanks for the help

Topthumb