OVER HEATING

1994 Cadillac SLS

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Cadillac SLS V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 201556 miles

I bought the car for $950 an got on the freeway and sat in san francisco traffic for about 20min an it started to over heat. So I got off the freeway and popped the cap and there was a more than normal for an overheating car. Amount of pressure built up. An it spray coolent everywheres and what not. However nothing seems to be leaking. And im pretty sure the waterpump is operating properly. The oil looks fine and the cars not putting out any white smoke from the tailpipe so I dont think its the headgasket. An the heatercore dosnt put out heat. But it is not leaking either. Any idea's? I was thinking the thermostat maybe? Let me know thanks
Vetteboi84

Did you touch the upper and lower radiator hoses by chance. If it was an overheat caused by a stuck closed thermostat, then the hoses would have been cool the closer to the radiator, indicating no flow through the radiator. Were the cooling fans on? White smoke is not necessarily the only indication that you have a leaking head gasket, that is when it is at it's most severe state. A block test with a gas analyzer, for combustion gases in the cooling system is the most accurate.

Factoryjack
Okay so I drove the car around to the store an back the evening I bought it and it started to overheatl. Than yester day I put water in it and let it idel for like 20min and it didnt over heat so I drove it around a little than let it idle for another 20min than turned it off for a minute than turned it on again than drove it around the block a couple more times than let it idle for another 15 min an it did not overheat. The fans do work. And the hoses wer hot but not enough to burn me I could keep my hand on it for a long period of time if I wanted.

Vetteboi84
If you added coolant, how much? If it hasn't overheated, then the theory of a stuck closed thermostat is not necessarily fact. If it was low on coolant, and you pressure test it and find no external leaks, monitor it and if it gets low again, it may be going internal. A few common places for leaks are the water pump, water pump cover, water pump housing(aka crossover), hose connections, the radiators can leak as well. If it has a black(phenolic) water pump cover, that has been updated to an aluminum one, because of the possibility of leaks. But like I say, I would not spend a bunch of money trying to fix coolant loss without having it block tested. Head gaskets, or more specifically the head bolt threads that degrade, are real common problems on a Northstar. To have that repaired professionally, it can run in the neighborhood of $3000.

Factoryjack
Hi! So yall been a big help. However I just found the cooling issue. Some jackass bypassed the heater core but when the did it the did so that one of the hoses is bent cutting off flow.I love it when its simple things like this caused by incompatent people lol. Thanks for all the help im sure I will use this service in the future, an as soon a I got another job I will gladly give a donation. Thnx have a good day =D

Vetteboi84
Typicaly, a bypassed heater core will not account for much change in operating temperature. Usually when the core is bypassed, it is due to a leaking heater core, and that is the option to replacement.

Factoryjack