TIMING CHAIN MARKS

Cadillac Seville

1978 Cadillac Seville, 5.7L.350 olds, fuel injected. The manual says align the marks. When aligned it is not at compression stroke! When opposite it is at compression stroke & #1. Is it ok to put together since it is at T.D.C. &Amp; at #1? It was like that when I dismantelled.I was replacing water pump so I decided to put new chain. I have tried turning crankshaft to align, but when I bump engine to align marks # 1, compression stroke is perfectly aligned but opposite side. The crank mark being on top. The cam mark being on top also, should be on bottom. If aligned together it seems to be not pushing my rag out of the #1 spark plug hole. Am I doing it right?
AFLNTRPRZ

Sounds like your a ok, tdc #1.

CHEVYII
Do you have inserted rag in the spark plug hole and wait untill the piston push it out to confirm that the piston #1 is at TDC? : )
I'm just trying to undertand what is going on.

Mathiaso
Thats what I got out of it

CHEVYII
I just worry that rotating the crancksaft or camsaftf with the timing chain removed would cause valve-to-piston contact. Is that correct?
Just though alignement of timing marks on the camsaft and cranksaft sprokets was enough to indicate TDC number one compression stroke. Just learn about the rags,
* replace the timing chain and sprokets as set. Do not run new chain against worn sproket, or early faillure can occur.

Mathiaso