INSTRUMENT PANEL READS (---) WITH NO

1992 Cadillac Seville

1992 Cadillac Seville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 161000 miles

My service engine light is on and the fuel reading gauge, the battery amp gauge, and the outside temp gauge, air or heat temp gauge and my coolant temp gauge have lines that look like this() across the instrument panel, . Do you have a solution on how I might repair this problem.
Nnarisi

It can indicate a loss of data. Most of that information is transfered to the IPC electrically. If the A/C programmer, and the ECM are not communicating the info, or the IPC is not recieving the info, it may show up as dashes. Does the speedometer and tachometer work normal? I would say the chance of two modules not communicating with one(IPC) would be rare, if there was a problem with the communications circuit, it would be more logical. See what pressing and holding off and warmer on the climate panel will reveal, it will enter diagnostics and display codes. The check engine light may have some bearing on the problem. Reply to post with the codes.

Factoryjack
Speedometer work and so do the tack. The information read as follows: No ECM data E047, E052, E085, E098, I033 Current, I034 Current, I037 Current, I039 History, I052 History, No ACP data, No SR Data, Ecm?

Nnarisi
I should also note that I pulled out the AC compressor two years ago and replaced it with a bypass pulley. This past year I replaced the catalytic converter. No issues came about until months after the converter being replaced.

Nnarisi
I don't believe the converter or the a/c pulley have any relevance. You do have some indication that points at communications. The E047 indicates ipc to ecm data problem, and can illuminate the check engine light. The I033, 034, 037 a loss of communication faults with the airbag module, climate panel, and the ECM. I would suspect you either have one or the other that has issues, and I would guess the IPC. It would have to be verified, and some diagnostic checks on the communications circuit before any definate speculation.

Factoryjack
Before the control panel went they system did show that I needed to service the inflatable restraint system. Where would I take it from here?

Nnarisi
It could have an airbag fault pre-existing. If I could recommend a part, I would. You have circuitry involved that doesn't allow me to have the confidence to replace any one module. I see where you replied to a post that had very similar symptoms, I recommended he replace the IPC as a guess, but never heard back. A scan tool that can read data would be useful, although 92 had first version OBD and there may not be much useful info available. Since you have dashes on the IPC, and other modules are reporting no communications with it, and it is reporting loss of communications with several modules, I would speculate that yours may be an IPC issue as well.

Factoryjack
Just wanted to let you know I replaced the IPC and the problem is fixed. Before replacement I took the IPC out of the housing and laid the circuit boards on a piece of siding and connected it back to the car. I then sprayed component cooler section by section on the circuits. I found that if I sprayed on one specific chip the IPC would work. I purchased a used IPC off eBay for $100. When I got the IPC I swapped the bad circuit board and sure enough that was the problem.

Thanks for you help Nick

Nnarisi
You went above and beyond, good example of thinking out of the box. Good Job.

Factoryjack