REPLACING A BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

2000 Cadillac Escalade

2000 Cadillac Escalade V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I need some DETAILED step by step directions (with pictures if you have em) of how to replace a brake light switch under the steering column. I found other directions that say " remove pushrod retainer from the brake pedal pin (?) And unsnap the stoplamp switch form the pushrod and disconnect the electrical connector from the stoplamp switch" and then replace and do in reverse. This is far too difficult to do if one does not know what all these mentioned parts look like and I cannot find them online to see what they might look like. ANY HELP WOULD BE greatly appreciated as my car will not go out of park and Im hoping this will be my fix!
Drtimuselton

Actually you should take it to a pro because there is a switch on the shifter called the avits. If it gets power and still doesn't unlock the shifter then it's the avits. If I remember correctly you can unlock it with a screwdriver from the side on the passenger side of the shifter. Sometimes you have to take the console off though. Look next to the shifter if it's on the console. If you see a little piece of plastic and it will say park release. It will look like a little bump. Pop that up and srick a screwdriver straight down and you shold be able to release it from park. Otherwise you'll have to take the console apart.