WHATS THE BEST OIL TO RUN IN THIS CAR

1999 Cadillac Deville

1999 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 118657 miles

I was just wondering, what type of oil do most of you Northstar Caddy folks use?
Its time for me to do my first 3000 mile oil change since I bought my Caddy, and it says on the windshield sticker, it was last changed with a brand called "Northland" motor oil. I've never heard of that brand, and can't find it on the internet.
Over my many years of driving, I've used Trop Artic, Valvoline, and Havoline with really good luck.
I had problems with Penzoil in a old 65 Ford, it looked dirty even when it was new, and when the engine blew, I chalked it up to that Penzoil. Who knows though, I was a Hotrodder back then.
I heard this Purple Synthetic oil helps one get better Gas Milage, but I'm already getting 28mpg on the highway, and around 22 to 24 around town, depending on weather or not I'm using the AC.
Just thought I'd ask your advice. I'll probally go with Valvoline.
Thanks, Jack

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/178174_Jacks_1999_Devillemid_rs_1.jpg

Bassmusician

I have never heard of it.

Best oil for the veicle is what is suggested in the owners manual and can be picked up at the cadillac dealership.

Synthetic last longer, im not sure on the gas mileage claims.

I always use the type of oil desined for that type of vehicle.

Blackop555
Thanks so much for answering,
I hadn't seen your reply, but I decided to go ahead and use my trusty old Havoline (Texico) that I've been using since the late 80's. Man oil is so high now, most is close or over $3.00 a qt, the Havoline is a mid price, and as stated I've used it in my 94 Chevey Pickup since I got it brand new, and in many other vehicles with no problems.
I just had to take the car to Iowa, and on the way up there, she got 30.7 Miles per gallon! On the way home, only 27.3, BUT I noticed that Iowa gas says it's been " Oxegionated for cleaner Iowa air" on the pump. Could Missouri have gas that gets better milage? I avoid Ethonol at ALL costs because of the troubles it caused in my truck a few years back.
Thanks again, Jack

Bassmusician
Oil is oil, just different names is my oppinion.

With the gas y es, some gas can give better mileage, due to the shape they keep their tanks, brand of gas, temperature its stored at.

Its all in the station

where I live one gas station getes me about 13mpg and the one further down the road I may get 15mpg.

Blackop555
Well I worked at a steel mill that made oilwell pipe for close to 10 years, and our pipe had to meet the API standards, (Americian Petrolium Institude), and I found out that one is supposed to look for the " API Certified" logo on the oil we use. I still kinda feel a person should stick with the brand thats always been used if possible, probally dont make a difference, but I kinda like to do it cause my Dad advised it, however, back in his day, componies WERE indivuadly owned, now I think there's about 2 or 3?

Bassmusician
Not to many diferent ones these days, one thing is bp puts in invigorate into their gas and I heard it dont mix well with some additives in shell, vehicles can get used to running on one mixture and switching to another one may decrease performance.

Main thing is some different states have different additives in their gas especially winter blend gas, you get the worst mileage out of it, and the warm states cant have the blend or much of it or their vehicles will stall out and not start.

Blackop555
Ya it was a BP station where I got that gas in Iowa! and that additive was Invigorate! Its weird, BP down here, is all the old Amaco which was the old Standard Oil, which I worked at Standard in the 70's as a kid pumping gas, and we were told back then that Standard was pure Americian products. Oddly, I heard that "BP" stands for "Brittish Petroelum"

I generally run Phillips 66, but now I notice, at least here, that Conoco now owns Phillips, because the Conoco stations say "Conoco/Phillips" on them. In fact, in our small town we have a Phillips 66 directly across from a Conoco/Phillips now.

I've heard what you mentioned about the winter/summer gas being different, in fact, my one friend told me that gas expands and contracts, he claims we get cheated in summer because the gas "shrinks" in winter?? or something to that effect.

My nephew was a mecanic, he's deceaced now, but he used to tell me to NEVER fill up at a station if I seen a truck filling up their tanks,as he said it stirred up all the settlements in their tanks. Which seems to make sense.

Have a great day, Jack

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/178174_CADDY_REAR_1.jpg

Bassmusician
" bp" is technically british petroleum, they try to claim its beyond petroleum.

With the gas expanding, that is true, but when pumping it out of the tank, it is gauged by volume not density as some belive. They say fill it up with the temp low such as early morning because its more dense and you get more bank for the buck, the fuel stays about the same temp in the tank anyways and the little bit that expands isnt much! Not worth the trouble.

You pay the same, if it was less volume you have to put more in the tank so technically doesnt matter!

With the thing about not filling it up when the tanker is filling it, that is 100% true, should save about 1 hour after its filled up till it goes down. When they fil it up it stirs up the dirt and the water then when you fill up you get all that good stuff. If you wait for it to settle the water and dirt settles back to the bottom and you can continue on with the filling, same goes for use a station that is used alot, keeps the gas fresher.

Blackop555
Just thought I'd let you know, I went with Havoline oil, same stuff I've been using for Years, and it seems fine. I have put close to 2000 miles on it so far, and it still is full, and still looks clean as a whistle! That " Northland" oil they had in it, must be like Penzoil, looks dirty going in new. My Dad always said " if ya buy a used car, use the same oil they always used" well, nowadays, people don't know what kind they used. My Dad always used Trop Artic back then, but it's getting hard to find around here anymore. One thing, I use Havoline 5-30 in my Truck, and the wife's Cavilier, BUT the Cadillac demands 10-30. I stuck with the Havoline anyway. I sure love my Caddy, but I'm thinking, I need to sell one of my vehicles. I bought my truck Brand New in 93, it's a 94 model year though, I ordered it from the factory. Pretty " plain jane" called a Chevy " Work Truck" but it's been a dang good truck! However, I'm a BIG guy with 3 back surgeries, and the Caddy is very kind on my back, unlike my truck or that dang Cavilier of my wife's. That thing beats me to death, plus I have to bend my head to sit in it! (I'm 6' 3" tall) Heck, the Caddy comes very close to getting as good of gas milage as the '02 Caviler, but she won't part with " her car". Oh well, thanks for your help, it was nice meeting you! Maybe someday, I'll come into some money, and be able to get a Classic Caddy, like a 58 thru 66 or so. ( I dig the tailfins, so 59 thru 64 would be great!) I remember My stepDad bought a 1960 Fleetwood 4dr. LOADED for 75 bucks, around 1971 or so, drove it like 5 years, and sold it for 125 bucks. Ahh the good ole days. Would be worth a fortune today probally. Thanks again, Jack

Bassmusician
Cavilers are horrible for size, im 6'0 myself 210lbs and its a bit cramped in them, my friend used to have one, good gas mileage but there were so many things wrong with that car!

Cadilacs are very comfortable one of the best ive ridden in, still cant take away my 87 f150 with the bench seat. Lots of room and a smooth ride.

My dad bought a shelby gt full loaded off the factory line for 7,000 dollars, now you can barley get a used car for that.

Times have changed!

Blackop555
I love my Caddy too!! best "riding" car I've ever owned. My pride and joy though, was my 1978 Firebird Formula, which I bought brand new in 1978, for the grand total of $7525.00 I sure with I'd have kept her, AND the 1971 Mustang I traded in on her. Here's a pic. Click below
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Bassmusician/Jacks1978FirebirdFormula.jpg

Bassmusician