IM VERY FRUSTRATED

1997 Cadillac Deville

1997 Cadillac Deville V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110, 00 miles

i have a 97 deville de elegance 2 months ago my very low refrigereant light went on, next my ac/compressor off light went on. I thought it was just low on freon, so I went to autozone got can of refrigerant with gauge, hooked it up and it said full.1 week later check engine light went on. I took it to autozone, they did pressure test and diagnosis on air cond, sai dit was fine. Told me check engine light was a sensor. So I continiued to drive car. Next thing my gas milege started to drop, took it took different mechanic, and he said I had a misfire, and he told me I needed a tune up, he also said he added half acan of freon. My ac/compresor and low refrigerant light went off, but check engine light still on. I continued to drive cat for 1 more month until I started to smell that radiator overheating smell. I watch on my dash the temp gauge would flutuate on freeway to 199 and on side roads would go up to 225. I took car yesterday to differnt mechanic, who told me I had ablown head gasket and wanted 4000 to fix. The car isnt worth that. Im not 100 percent sure he is right. He puts on my receipt that they pressure checked radiator and it wont hold pressure he also told me the engine cooling fans wont turn on and they added adye and could not find any external leaks he said they smell coolant at the tailpipe and that the coolant is milky. As soon as I turn on my heater controls back comes the ac compressor and very low refrigerant llight can anybody tell me whats really going on here? Does it sound like ablown head gasket or not? ≫
Scottie1956

Head gaskets is not unrealistic, but is that going to correct everything, I doubt it. On the A/C, has it been properly serviced, recovered to determine if the correct amount is present. If you are just adding when it is thought to be needed, you are at potential for other problems. It could have faults within the system that will be mistaken for low refrigerant, like compressor faults, restricted orifice tube, or otherwise that causes the pressure to drop rapidly and be misread as low refrigerant. Pressure gauges can aid in detection. The cooling fans should at least be on low speed when compressor is on, that will tell you if they are at least working.

Factoryjack
Thanks for the help I just purchased car about 9 months ago. Everything was working fine. The previous owner had abrand new dealer installed complete ac conditioner put in. Why arent the fans going on. Is that fuse or what? Thanks

Scottie1956
Could be fans, relays, controls, would need diagnosis to find out for sure.

Factoryjack