RE: ENGINE PERFORMANCE

2005 Cadillac CTS

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2005 Cadillac CTS 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 36000 miles

My car stalls when I am driving between 40-60mph. Something in the engine is rattling between 20-30mph. The engine light flashed several times while driving on the highway at about 60mph. What is this? I am taking it to the dealer on Monday, 1/26/09, but do not want to be ripped off? I tried fuel injector cleaner with some improvement. Please advice.
Jamonit

Have it scanned for codes, you can go to autozone and have it scanned for free and post back with the codes, also I would check with the dealer I think cadillac warranty is 5/40,000. This might still be under warranty. Post back with any other questions.

Brian 1
You might check your oil level. Low oil causes some problems with the Variable Valve timing. Have not seen a stall from it, but the engine noise is a strong possibility. The check engine light flashes to warn you of a catalyst damaging misfire, which also can be caused by a valve timing issue. I have seen vehicles up to 3.5 quarts low on oil that is just due to consumption. Cadillac warranty is 4yr/50k, it will depend on your vehicles in-service date.

Factoryjack
I took the 2005 Cadillac CTS to the dealer.
Report from Cadillac Dealer Repair- Under Warranty-
Cause: Vehicle was in need of oil change, oil level very low drying outlvetrain causing a misfire
code- 36462

bad cell in battery- code 36462 N0110

gas cap not sealing properly- code 36462 J9994

I was charged $200 for a power oil flush and change with high performance oil.

The service advisor told me not to rely on the oil indicator life. I was told when I bought the car to wait until the oil indicator life reaches less than 20%, which was usually around 8000 miles. Any advice.

Is my car ruined from this?

Jamonit
If there is no more noise, and running fine, I think it is safe to say your fine. I think the $200 oil change was unnecessary, you were simply just low on oil. Oil change intervals have become a gray area, some still recommend the 3mo/3k mile change. Your CTS calls for Mobil 1 synthetic that can go 10k between oil changes, and the oil life monitor does the job very well however, the oil level still needs checked. Normal oil consumption can be 1 to 1.5 quarts in 1000 miles depending on driving habits.

Factoryjack