CAR SHAKES AT TIMES AND HAS LOW POWER

1996 Buick Roadmaster

1996 Buick Roadmaster V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

It seems like it may be mis firing. For awhile it would not start. I took it to a shop and they charged teh battery and it started. But same issues. Driving it from the shop it was low on power. When I got it home from the shop and parked it. And tried to start it 30 mins later it would start but die right away, or start and barly idle. After awhile it would not start at all. Sat it for 48 hours and went ot start it, and it started right up. Was able to drive it work with the same issues. Low power and it feels it will shut down. I have changed the fuel pumop on it but have nto changed the fuel filter. The shop said they think it needs a distributor and they quated 1k-2k.
Sadiki

Has the check engine light come on? Has anyone checked the catylatic converter to see if it is plugged? Have they checked the crankshaft sensor?

Let me know.

PS: 1 to 2K for a distributor is crazy. Way too much. And they cushined it with a 1000.00 variable. Let me know the answers to my questions and I recommend another shop looks at it.