SUPERCHARGER

1996 Buick Riviera

1996 Buick Riviera 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 92,000 miles

Car was making a loud noise when idling. Found out today the supercharger needs to be replaced. The car is in excellent condition exterior and interior wise. Has all the bells/whistles, leather interior, sun-roof. There may be some other leaks but mechanic isn't sure where they are coming from. Could be steering or oil. Gave me an estimate of $4200 to replace the supercharger. Sounds like a lot. Does that sound right to you? I'm I getting into a money pit?
Cappy

The price is about right I would imagine. You coul d cheapen it up by getting one from a junkyard, but if you aren't able to do it mechanically you would have to see if the mechanic would replace it. He may but wouldn't warranty it i'm sure. BUT the car is 14 years old so other things due to age will wear out so you probably have a money pit in the works.

I hope you haven't replaced your supercharger yet. About 18 months ago I was having the same issue. I located a company in Florida that deals in rebuilt superchargers. For $375 they sent a rebuilt supercharger and that included the return shipment of the old supercharger to them. My mechanic charged me about $500 for removal of the old and install of the new supercharger and he boxed up and sent the old one back. So under $1000 took care of the problem.

The company is Canadian Supercharger
204-667-9069
http://www.canadiansupercharger.com

p.s. my riv is a "95 and I just turned 400K

Steve Cover

Swcover