CHANGING POWER STEERING BOX

1967 Buick Riviera

Steering problem
1967 Buick Riviera V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 101500 miles

my power steering box is leaking, I was told this by a transmission shop, I was wondering how hard it is to replace it? I have a friend how is not a mechanic but is pretty smart and can usually figure things out, but being that it has to do with steering I was wondering if it is pretty simple or I should only let a mechanic replace it? He's going to change my motor mounts for me and has done a starter in the past. Also I was wondering what it takes to change the power steering box.
Coronadom63

If your steering box is leaking, it is probably coming from the pitman seals. That is where teh arm connects to the rest of the steering at the bottom. It's not a bad thing ot fix, the hardest part will be getting the pitman arm off. There is a snap ring that holds the seals, then a washer and the 2 seals which are both pressed in. You just take them out, clean the shaft a little, then lube the seals and reinstall the new ones. It's a lot cheaper than replacing the steering box and probably the cause. But check your hoses as well.

I already purchased the gear box, that's what I need to know if it's hard to replace, is there any trick to that? Is it hard or easy to replace?

Coronadom63
It's a bolt in swap very easy, just make sure to get eht pitman arm on at the right place if you are replacing that. Get a front end alignment after replacing it.