CHANGING THERMOSTAT ON CX

2002 Buick Rendezvous

Heater problem
2002 Buick Rendezvous 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 101000 miles

Hi, I was reading your response to a 2004 buick rendezvous thermostat issue and I need help with my 2002. From what I have read, there are enough differences between the two 3.4L engines that do not make me comfortable enough to follow the 2004 directions.

My 2002 thermostat seems to be stuck open. The temperature doesn't pass the 1st hash mark on the gauge and because of that, the heater doesn't blow warm air. I see where the housing is, but am not sure exactly what I need to unbolt. I have changed thermostats in other vehicles without any issues, but I am intimidated. I don't want to unbolt stuff without knowing what the torque for tightening is and/if there are is any need to purchase gaskets, etc.

Can you walk me through the '02 process. I would rather spend the time and do it myself rather than have to take it to a mechanic and pay for the labor for a $15 part.
Cueball

Ok if you have done thermostats in the past then you know to drain out some antifreeze. Then you remove the upper hose and unbolt the thermostat housing using the two bolts and remove the stat and not how it is pointed put the new stat in and put the housing back on (clean the mating surfaces first) and put the upper hose back on. Now near the hose is a bleeder valve loosen it two full turns (this ensures that there is no air in system, called burping the cooling system) when anti freeze comes out of the bleeder close it fill the radiator and put the cap back on. Start the car and let it warm up keep an eye on the temp so it don't get hot incase you didn't get all the air out. Then when it cools check the fluid level and you are done. Here is a pic to help

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_24.jpg

Racefan966
I am clear with your explanation, but what do I need to remove to get the housing off. I thought that I read that the throttle body needed to be loosened in addition to an exhaust crossover pipe? Are there concerns about any gaskets there or not? From what I saw on my vehicle, I dont think I can get to the housing bolts without removing some stuff.

Cueball
I didn't find that in the procedure to do this but it is in the way then you may have to but I never mentioned it. I will look again.

Racefan966