HOW TO REPLACE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

2001 Buick Park Avenue

2001 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 174000 miles

My rear lights keep on burning out every so often. Last week I changed 'all' of them and they were all working, but 2 day later only the brake lights stopped working (when I brake) my mechanic told me it could be a stop light switch.

How would I replace the stop light switch?
Tsherk80

Brake switch is under dash, on brake pedal bracket. Disconnect battery, then disconnect switch and unbolt to replace it.

Bluelightnin6
I went ahead and replaced the switch, but everytime I hit the brake the fuse blows, no matter between the new or old witch.

Where hould I go from here?

Tsherk80
If fuse keeps blowing then this indicates a short in that specific circuit. Check the wiring at the brake switch as well as at the brake light housings

Bluelightnin6
All th wire's at the brake looked fine, what do you mean by the 'houing'? And what am I looking for?

Tsherk80
The housings is where the bulb seats at each tail light assembly. Inspect the wiring at these housings.

Bluelightnin6
You were right! One of my bulbs were bad and rusty, took it out and everything works now.

Thank you very much.

Tsherk80