COOLANT LEAKING INTO INTAKE

1999 Buick Park Avenue

1999 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

coolant found coming out of throttle body.

took throttle body off and found the plastic intake full of coolant.

prior to doing this the engine was running rough with engine check soon. Also, saw radiator hose to thermostat collapse.

cleared water out of top of intake. Cannot see where the coolant is coming in from.
Thesmadge

Hi thesmadge, welcome to 2carpros and TY for he donation

In order for the water to make it into the throttle body, the lower intake manifold is leaking-also replace the thermostat and scan the computer for code/s

Its running rough bcuz the water is mixing with gas, not a good mixture, also check the plugs

Since i submitted question, i did more examining while waiting.

found holes in plastic air cover, that i do not believe to be there.
see pictures.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/585764_100_0869_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/585764_100_0868_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/585764_100_0865_1.jpg

belive this is culprit. 1st picture shows holes around center hole. fell out when went to clean a little.

found other hole in 3rd picture. do not believe those holes should be ther.
please advise.

also scan code revealed only intermittent misfires

Thesmadge
No its not its eroded its leaking thru it and making it into the throttle body.

Replaced the manifold. Came with gaskets for fuel injectors. The top ones looked identical to ld. The bottom ones looked a little different and did not fit as tight.

Assembly everything back. Went to start but no joy.

After 5 seconds of starting a sputter or two happens, that is all. Tried many times with same results. Checked plugs again but no water or fuel. Fuel can be smelled.

Triple checked all connections.

Have not had a fuel injection car before. Do not know if their is anything I needed to do for fuel injectors, or perhaps they are leaking due to wrong seals.
Please advise thanks

Thesmadge
Check if you're getting spark?

Checked for spark. 3 for 3 on cylinders checked. Thought to be enough. Two are very hard to get to.

After three cranking attempts, fuel ordor starting to get strong. No signs of leaks. Cranking sounds like an attempt to fire but no turn over, close but not.

When I replaced manifold I checked cylinders for water, but it appears it has dried.

At a lost.

Thesmadge
Are all the cylinders firing? Sounds like the fuel is not being ignited-double check

Do not know what happened, but went back to try again.

Nothing changed until I press the accelortor down.
It started at least to attempt to fire.

So I tried again several times, but this time pumping accelerator like crazy.

On the third 20 second starting attempt, it started.

Ran rough for a few seconds and smoothed out. After 15 minutes of idle, I test drove it around block then 5 miles including acceleration up to 50 mph, with no issues.

Attempt drive to work 42 miles with great success this morning with no issues. All I can say is I remember someone many years ago stating that if the fuel system is opened with fuel injectors it neds to be pressurized.
Do not know, but thanks for keeping on track.

Please advise if there is something else I need to try or followup on. Thanks again.

Thesmadge
Check and test the coolant temperature sensor, fuel pump and oil pressure sending unit and fuel pressure just to make sure its working properly and to specs