FUEL GAUGE & WINDSHIELD WIPERS

1997 Buick Park Avenue

1997 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 118750 miles

After a tire rotation, I had a low tire pressue warning that would not reset. Also, the next day my windshield wipers will not reset to the down position when I turn them off. THe wipers will go full down when I select the intermittent wipers speed.
I disconnected the battery to try to clear the faults. THe tire pressure fault did clear, the wiper position problem did not correct. Also, after disconnecting the battery, the fuel gauge pointer is on the wrong side of the stop peg and will not function or reset.
Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Randy
Rwindeknecht

For the tire pressure reset in the future: You have to turn key on and press gage info button on left side of instrument panel until tire pressure message appears. Then hold reset button in until tire pressure reset shows. Usually takes approx 15- 30 seconds.

The module on top of the wiper motor is probably bad, fairly common.
But before replacing it, pull the plugs off the computer, clean them with electrical cleaner and plug them back in. This may resolve the gauge issue. IF not check for grounds on the cluster. If grounds are good, it may be a bad cluster.

For the gas guage problem: Get a good magnet. Hold it close to the plastic glass in front of the gauge. Turn the magnet counter clockwise until the needle gets back to normal position.

Wra
I'd like to add to this solution. Suffered the same problem with a 2000 Park Avenue after jumping the battery and creating a voltage surge that spun the needle clockwise to the peg. Read on a few other websites that a very powerful (40-50 lbs.) Was required. Tried a 20 lb. Magnet and got nowhere. Then, one day fiddling with a little telescopic magnetic pickup tool, I found I could move the needle - by aiming at the base of the needle, not the tip - but not enough to swing the needle around.

Went to Home Depot and bought a package of 8 round, quarter sized magnets (about 3 bucks) that collectivelly couldn't have pulled more than about 3 lbs. Stacked them, shut off the key, aimed at the base of the needle, and it swung around easily and quickly to the full mark. Removed the magnet, turned on the key, and the gauge went to the proper level.

Aim for the base of the needle, not the tip. Careful not to scratch the plastic.

Ggriffin