ENGINE STALLS

1997 Buick Park Avenue

1997 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 102000 miles

been having problems, when car is in park the engine is quiet but when I put it in drive it starts making like a pinging noise, I been told its the exaust manifold gasket, and that it might be the supercharger, but shouldnt the supercharger make noise whether it is in park or not if it were the case? Just did a complete tune up. Also oil preasure gauge is moving from 38psi when in park but moves up to 64psi when driving. Dont know whats wrong? Anything would be helpful as I dont know what the problem is. Thanks
Rubenmadrid

Not sure about the pinging noise yet but will check further. You might check for stretched belts or bad idler pulleys not holding the tension which would allow the belts to have slack under RPMs and slap the pulleys creating a pinging sound.

The oil pressure will drop at idle but 38 is good. The pressure naturally increases with engine speed as the pump is turned faster in relation to crankshaft speed.

Ed Armes