BATTERY GAUGE/TRANSMISSION

1991 Buick Park Avenue

1991 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 73000 miles

I have a 91 park avenue (about 73k miles), the battery gauge goes in the red zone all the way to the right, and when that happens it seems like the car stays in the same gear and won't shift up or down when I brake or accelerate. Any advice on what to do?
Treymotty

Start by getting the vehicle to your local auto parts store such as CSK/O'Reilly or Autozone, and have them check you electrical system: battery, starter and alternator. I suspect that your alternator is over-charging, and most system won't work properly with too much voltage.

Zackman
Thanks but now its changed. Now the battery gauge is on the negative side nearly in the red zone with the red light staying on all the time. So does this mean I may need to get a new battery?

Treymotty
Not battery. You still have problem with the alternator circuit. If the alternator is new, make sure that the belt is tight, the connector and cable are tightly attached, battery terminals are tight, and the fuses are good.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_91parkavealt_1.jpg

I would go back to the place that you got the alternator, and have them check the entire electrical system again.

Zackman
Ok thanks for the help, il go first thing in the morning. Looks like I already need a jump, it already has drained the battery.

Treymotty
Let us know what you find out.

Zackman
Ok I finally got it fixed. It was just the altenator. Thanks for the help

Treymotty
Not a problem.

Zackman