NOISE AT RIGHT REAR WHEEL, PARKED

1998 Buick Lesabre

Noises problem
1998 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 36000 miles

I have this noise that I think might be some kind of pump or small motor noise near the right rear tire.

Any ideas?
Wmelvin

Can you explain what kind of noise the best you can and when is this noise happening? Get back to me and we will see what we can find.

Racefan966
I just noticed it last night. I parked with the engine running and walked to the mailbox. I noticed the noise on the right rear that sounded like some small diaphram pump. I was concerned it was coming from the exhaust. On closer investigation it sounded more like it was from the wheel well area.

Wmelvin
Well it sounds like it is either the automatic antenna or the automatic leveling compressor as these are the only two things on that side of the car that could make that kind of noise.

Racefan966
It doesn't have a external antenna. There is a label inside that says Dynaride, does the mean air ride or that it would have a pump? Is this normal or do I need to fix something?

Wmelvin
Yes it seems that you have automatic air leveling on your car. I think you may have just been in the right place at the right time. Usually you don't hear it but if you get out of the car or get in the suspension sees a weight change and will adjust suspension accordingly you just happened to be there when the compressor was doing its thing. Now if it cold they will be louder as they are an electric air pump on warmer day's it will be quiet. Now I don't know if the level of noise you are hearing is normal as I can not hear it to tell you but if the car sets level and is not sitting on the ground then it is working. Hope this helps if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Racefan966
Mine does the same thing, if you happen to be standing on the outside of the car at the right time you will hear it kick on, sounds kind of like a little air compressor. Then it will shut right back off after a couple of seconds. Puzzled me too the first time I heard it.

Dougandlaura