NO AIR FROM DASH VENTS

1998 Buick Lesabre

Air Conditioning problem
1998 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 36000 miles

After changing the battery I no longer get air out the dash vents.
Wmelvin

Ok do you get air from any vents at all or nothing at all? Does the blower motor come on at all? Let me know what you can so we can try to fix this problem.

Racefan966
I have windshield and floor air. I can redirect it to either of those locations or both at once. I dropped the glove box door and nothing moves there. I also checked, there is vacuum present. I have also removed fuse 9C for a reset and it's no different.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wmelvin
So I didn't ask do you have manual or automatic climite control? Once I know that I can see what I can find to help.

Racefan966
Sorry, it is automatic climate control.

Wmelvin
Ok does the light come on when you push the vent button? Do you hear any noises like vacuum noises or anything? Let me know so we can go to next step.

Racefan966
Yes I do get a light but no noise that I can hear other than the fan running.

Wmelvin
Ok this is going to sound strange but you do not have set in front defrost mode when you are trying to use the vents do you? Here is how the system is said to work ok.
The vent button is used to toggle is used to turn on or off the A/C compressor and allow ambient air to enter the car. When the vent button is pressed the vent led will come on and the A/C compressor is de-energized, pressing the vent button again or the recirculation button will cancel out the other. When in defrost mode the vent button will do nothing.
If all this is good then we may need to check the programmer. Does it work correctly in manual mode? Let me know and we will go from there.

Racefan966
The vent led works as well as the others. If I turn on the recirc button it lights but air comes from the windshield vents and the floor. It blows cold air also.

The person I purchased the car from said this started when she replaced the battery but I have been through all that proceedure and nothing works. Should I be able to move the control arm behind the glove box manually?

Wmelvin
Ok that is fine that is the passanger mix link for the blend door which is what brings in cold air and directs it throught the heater core to make it hot. Now there is a HVAC programmer just infront of that it is a box with the vacuum lines and two connectors on it this is that we need to test as that tells the system what to do.
Now here is a reset procedure to do when the battery has been changed or died.
Turn key on then off see if it resets if not then check fuse 9C if it is good then then make sure key is off and disconnect the programmer. With a volt meter check for voltage between the black and white wire (E1) and the orange wire (E13). You should have battery voltage between these two wires if not then fix the fuse or short if it all good then make sure there are no harness problems and replace the programmer. Here is a pic of the HVAC system as well. Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_27.jpg

Racefan966
I do have battery voltage between those two wires. Is the programer something I can replace and do you know where to find it for the best price?

Wmelvin