98 CRANK SHAFT SENSOR LOCA

1998 Buick Lesabre

1998 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 49000 miles

Hi, I have a problem with my 1998 Buick Lesabre periodically stalling out while driving. Sometimes I was able to put the car in neutral and restart it while still driving.

However, a few days ago I went to start the car and it started up, idled very rough, then backfired, then stalled. Now it will only crank, then start up and idle very roughly (sounds like a growling noise) and then stall after a few seconds.

I was told to change the crank shaft sensor, the fuel filter, and/or fuel pump. I was told to start with the sensor first.

Can someone please advise me of the sensor location and/or whether or not it is something I can replace myself? And is there a place where I can locate a diagram?

Thank you,
Mark
Markkacz

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_crankshaft_position_sensor_1.jpg

Number 7 is for the crank sensor, number 8 is the cam sensor. I'm not a big fan of replacing anything without testing.

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c152800b1fd3

You can scroll down the above page, find the proper schematic.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply to my question. I also asked the same question to a local autoparts store and they suggested having the ignition module checked out before I change the crank shaft sensor.

Would you agree with this?

Thanks for your time on this. Also, I will be sending a donation your way.

Mark

Markkacz
Hello, I agree with checking and testing everything you can before replacing anything. Can you check for any codes?

You might try unplugging the cam sensor, then start the vehicle. See if it makes any difference?

Some of the autostores may be able to test your ignition module for free, you can ask.

At the discount auto store, the crankshaft position sensor costs 25.99, the ignition module is 135.99. I can't rule out either one from here. I don't like throwing parts at a vehicle.