CAR WILL NOT TURN ON?

1997 Buick Lesabre

1997 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 133000 miles

I HAVE A 97 BUICK LESABRE 3800 133000 MILES THE CAR TURNS ON WHEN ITCOLD BUT WHEN I DRIVE IT FOR A WHILE IT WILL NOT START IT FEELS LIKE THE BATTERY IS DEAD AND IT DOESN'T SEND ENOUGH POWER TO THE STATER. I CHANGED THE STARTER, BATTERY, AND ALTERNATOR AND IT STILL DOES THE SAME THING I WILL NOT EVEN CRANK, IT ONLY CRANKS IN THE MORNING AND REAL WEAK. I TESTED THE BATTERY AND IT'S GOOD WHAT CAN IT BE?
TUTY2386

Hello –

First to better assist you, is the 8th digit of your VIN K and is this a Lesabre Custom or Limited?

So you and I are saying the same thing I need to ask a couple of questions.

When you say it turns on when it is cold……. Are you saying – when you turn the key to start it, the engine turns over just fine. Nice and strong, no odd noises, starts right up.

Once you drive it and go to start it – you turn the key to start it but it acts like the battery is dead and the engine barely turns over – really slow?

So then do you jump start it and it starts up just fine with jumper cables or you have to wait a while?

Have you tried jumping it with cables when it does this and if so what does it do?

After you changed the battery, alternator and starter you said it won’t crank. Now does this mean you turn the key and it is totally dead…. No noise, no engine turning over or does this mean you turn the key and the motor turns but it doesn’t start?

I know you tested the battery but do me a favor…. First thing in the morning based off what you say. Please go to Auto Zone or O’Reilly’s and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don’t get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter. This is important as they can check all together to see how they are working together.

When was the last time you did a tune up…. Plugs, wires, fuel filter?

We don’t need to do a fuel pressure check yet based off of your code, but we may need to later.

Please do the above and provide the information requested and we can take it from there.

Thanks for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
THE CAR TURNS ON IN THE MORNING BUT REAL WEEK AFTER I DRIVE IT THE MOTOR TURNS ANDTHEN IT JUST STOPSTURNING I TRIED JUMPING IT AND IT DOESNT DO ANYTHING I GOT STUCK IN AUTOZONE WHEN I TOOK THE BATTERY TO GET CHECKED AND THEY SAID BATTERY IS GOOD AND THE ONLY SENSORS THAT SHOW BAD ARE THE MASSFLOW SENSOR AND THE 02 SENSORAND NOW THE CAR DOESNT TURN ON THE LAST TIME I GAVE IT A TUNE UP WAS 5 MONTHS AGO WHEN I CHANGED THE CONTROL MODULE

TUTY2386
Hello – TUTY2386

So I can make sure I am giving you the best possible service and help, I really need you to answer my questions in the way that I ask them. The big problem is I am not there to see, hear, or feel, all the things the car is doing. Since you and I look at things different and use different words for different things…. We need to get to where we are saying the same thing. That way I can help you better. I don’t want to let you down here. I also ask questions in a certain way to help me better understand what the car is doing in certain situations and how all the components are working together. That is another reason I need them answered the way I ask. Also, I am referring to technical manuals so some of the information is to work through those to again, provide you with the info you need. So I am sorry I am not understanding certain things you say, so if you could help me that would be great.

Let’s kind of review - You can actually copy and paste my questions and then answer them underneath.

First to better assist you, is the 8th digit of your VIN K and is this a Le Sabre a Custom or Limited?

On you first and last post – I am probably looking at it wrong, but it looks like you are telling me something different for the morning start. I am going to copy your posts and ask my questions at different spots. All you have to do is answer after my questions. What I did if you notice next to what you said I put “TUTY2386---“ That way you will know this is what you said and what I am asking or saying is underneath each area.

TUTY2386---I HAVE A 97 BUICK LESABRE 3800 133000 MILES THE CAR TURNS ON WHEN ITCOLD

You turn the key to start the car and the engine turns over and starts first thing in the morning. Right?

Does the engine sound good and strong?

TUTY2386---BUT WHEN I DRIVE IT FOR A WHILE IT WILL NOT START IT FEELS LIKE THE BATTERY IS DEAD AND IT DOESN'T SEND ENOUGH POWER TO THE STATER.

After you drove it and it was warm, you shut it off to do something. When you tried to start it, you turned the key to start it, the motor turned over really slow like the battery was dead and the car never started. Right?

TUTY2386--- I CHANGED THE STARTER, BATTERY, AND ALTERNATOR AND IT STILL DOES THE SAME THING.

By the same thing, you turn the key, the motor turns over really slow and never starts?

Or, you turn the key, the motor turns over normal speed but never starts?

Why did you change the battery, alternator and starter at the same time?

Did someone check them out and tell you they were all 3 bad?

TUTY2386--- I WILL NOT EVEN CRANK,

Do you mean, you turn the key and the dash lights come on but there is not noise?

The engine does not turn over at all.

TUTY2386---IT ONLY CRANKS IN THE MORNING AND REAL WEAK.

If you answered the questions above, then this will be answered based off of them.

TUTY2386---I TESTED THE BATTERY AND IT'S GOOD WHAT CAN IT BE?

How did you test it? Did you take it out of the car and took it somewhere?

Did you leave it in the car and it was tested in the car?

Okay, your next post.

TUTY2386---THE CAR TURNS ON IN THE MORNING BUT REAL WEEK

On your first post you said it started in the morning. So now is it getting worse?

Now when you turn the key to start it, the motor turns over really slow, not at normal speed?

The car does start – just the motor turns really slow when starting.

TUTY2386---AFTER I DRIVE IT THE MOTOR TURNS ANDTHEN IT JUST STOPSTURNING

You drove it, turned the key to start it, the dash lights came on, the motor turned over not at normal speed, but really slow.

Then it finally stopped turning totally. There was no noise, no movement?

TUTY2386---I TRIED JUMPING IT AND IT DOESNT DO ANYTHING I GOT STUCK IN AUTOZONE

You tired to jump start it, you turned the key on to start it, the dash lights came on but the engine did not turn over, make any noise at all. It just sat there. Dead.

How did you get it going to leave Auto Zone?

TUTY2386---WHEN I TOOK THE BATTERY TO GET CHECKED AND THEY SAID BATTERY IS GOOD

Did you remove the battery from the car or have it checked in the car?

TUTY2386---AND THE ONLY SENSORS THAT SHOW BAD ARE THE MASSFLOW SENSOR AND THE 02 SENSOR

Okay, that’s good – we got something. That’s great! Ma’am I am sorry to say you forgot to do as I requested and get the code numbers. There are thousands of code numbers. You also have about 4 O2 Sensors on this model I believe. At about $65.00 each or more depending on where you buy it, Lord knows we don’t want to waste any money. The code would tell me which one. Is it possible to have the codes read again so you can tell me the code numbers and what they say they mean?

As for the Mass Flow sensor, that too can throw maybe three codes, DTC P0101, DTC P0102, or DTC P0103. Now, this sensor can be easily contaminated causing hard starting, rough idle, hesitation and stalling problems. So to me, change it.

TUTY2386---AND NOW THE CAR DOESNT TURN

Do you mean, you turn the key, the dash lights come on and everything is dead. No noise, the motor doesn’t spin, turn over at all?

TUTY2386---ON THE LAST TIME I GAVE IT A TUNE UP WAS 5 MONTHS AGO

What did you do for your tune up? Did you change the plugs, wires, air filter, fuel fileter? What exactly did you do?

Did you do a tune up becase of this problem or it was just time?

TUTY2386---WHEN I CHANGED THE CONTROL MODULE

Are you talking about the Ignition Control Module?

Why did you change that?

Okay Ma; am…. How about this. Change the Mass Airflow Sensor. Auto Zone has them.

While there picking up the sensor, I think the car is drivable – yes? If so, I know you tested the battery but do me a favor…. First thing in the morning based off what you say. Please go to Auto Zone and for FREE they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter. This is important as they can check all together to see how they are working together while they are in the car.

Also, very important - for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don’t get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that.

Then, answer all my questions as best as possible the way I asked them.

Thanks for working with me on this….

Thanks for the donation

ImpalaSS
THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING I FIXED THE PROBLEM THEY SOLD ME A BAD STARTER I GOT A NEW ONE PUT IN AND THE CAR IS WORKING FINE

TUTY2386
That’s great Ma’am

For my info…. How did you find out it was a bad starter?

Thanks for the donation

ImpalaSS
We had checked everything out and dicided to losen up the starter and it started but weak so we exchanged it and the car has been turning on fine

TUTY2386