A/C WON'T KICK IN

1995 Buick Lesabre

Air Conditioning problem
1995 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140K miles

Re: 1995 3.8 L engine, R1`134a refrigerant. My A/C wasn't doing a good job in cooling and went to zero and before I had a chance to recharge, the clutch bearing failed so I replaced the whole unit with a reman compressor/clutch assembly. The system has a 2lb capacity, so I bought 3 13 oz cans of the refrigerant and plugged the filling device in to the low end valve. I started the engine and put the A/C on high with the temp set on lowest. I put one can in and the clutch would not kick in. Thinking that I needed more, I put the other two cans and it still wouldn't kick in. Just to see if there was anything in the system, I pushed down the valve on the high end and got nothing. Does this mean that nothing went in to the system? What next?
Rsukovich

Hi rsukovich, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation.

Check the high and low pressure with a manifold gauges if okay-Do this power the clutch from the battery and see if the clutch engages the compressor-let me know

I'm asssuming that you mean rig a two wire hookup from the plus & ground from the battery with the engine running.

Rsukovich
Check fuse no.5 15amp, in relay center and also the AC compressor control relay in center rear of engine compartment-if both okay -jump start the clutch from the battery positive post to the dark green wire at the clutch, it should engage the compressor-let me know

I'm standing in the front of the car facing the relay center. There are two banks of fuses: Left & Right.
The left side has six fuses incl: A/C which is 30A. Spare/HDR STS 40A, IGN SW 60A, PCM/VATS 20A, Spare 60A, & HORN, DR LKS, TRUNK REL 60A. Below the fusees are two relays--The right side fuse bank incl: ABS PUMP 40A, ABS Main rel 30A, ELC/MISC 60A, CLG Fan 40A, LGT 60A, HDLP 20CB, IGN SW 60AS, AIR DEFOG PWR STS 60A. Below the fuses are four relays. I do not know which relay is for the A/C. I'm going to make a jumper wire and connect an puncture type aligator clip to the green wire going to the compressor. I will start the engine and then make contact with the positive connection on the battery with the other end of the jumper wire and as I understand your instructions, the clutch should kick in if all relative fuses and relays are good.

Rsukovich
OK, test completed. I tapped into the green wire, started the engine and touched the other end of the tap wire to the pos. Battery and the clutch kicked in. So, I guess we determined that there are no blown fuses and, at least electrically, the clutch turns the compressor.

Rsukovich
Just want to add. When I first touched the wire to the plus side of the battery, the engine wasn't running and I thought I heard a relay energize and I'm sure I heard clicking at the clutch. So, I thought now I will know which one of the relays is for the A/C compressor. I started the engine and touched the wire to the plus side of the battery and the clutch engaged, but I didn't hear that relay energize again, so I stlll don't know which relay belongs to the A/C.

Rsukovich
Ac compressor control relay

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_ac_relay_2.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Do you think that the problem lies with that relay?

Rsukovich
As I told you previously, there are two relays on the left bank below a row of fuses which includes the 30A for the A/C. The diagram that you sent me shows a row of eight relays in the center and the Compressor control relay is identified as the first one on the left and because there are actually only two relays on the left side, I checked them both and they both checked out OK. Too, the 30 amp fuse is also good. Where do we go from here?

Rsukovich
Is this relays and fuses box the same as yours?

Page 1 of 2