HOOD RELEASE

2006 Buick La Crosse

Interior problem
2006 Buick La Crosse 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 34000 miles

I am not sure of the cause of this but suddenly my hood release stopped working - it just feels like it is not connecting to anything when I pull the lever. I took it to the mechanic and he removed the medallion in the grill and can get hold of the cable but pulling on it doesn't do anything. There is no other access to the cable or the release lever under the hood unless he cuts the grill and a replacement grill is $300! Is there any other way to release the hood or get to the cable?
Thanks for any help you can give!
Stinger964

Ok first off I would be prepared to replace the hood latch. So if he can see the cable can he get to the 3 bolts that hold the hood latch in place? If so then unbolt the hood latch and bring the hood up enough to diconnect the cable this will get the hood open now you can see if the cable or the latch is causing your problem. If it is the latch then I would get one a salvage or wrecking yard as this will save lots of money. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Racefan966
We know that the problem is the cable. I can grab the cable through the medallion hole in the grill and it is stuck on something under the hood - it also appears to not be attached to the hood latch anymore. Is there a way to get to the latch from underneath? We cannot see the 3rd bolt for the latch and the concern is that if we even could get the bolts off and it didn't work, we would not be able to line them up again to put the bolts back on.

Stinger964
There is no other way to get to the cable or the latch. If the latch it no good then you will need to replace it anyway. If it is just the cable then you need to see if you can find the lever that will release the latch. The lever is underneath. So the cable comes in from the left (drivers) side and attaches to a lever from the underside of the latch. SO it you can get a long screwdriver you may be able to activate it from underneath. YOu will have to look and see as I don't have the car infront of me I am just looking at pics from a repair manual. Let me know what you find.

Racefan966